Thursday, September 8, 2011

New bata class

Last year we didn't have enough time to enjoy our bata de colas, some didn't have much time to practice or no time at all. This year we move on with more classes. In the over two classes I take this year (and looks like that in one more which sadly I don't take) we'll have a guitar player and in the end of the year we'll perforem in with live music. In this one - we'll have a recorded song.

Last year one of the girls said that we didn't dance seguiriyas for years. I said that I never did. So she said that this year we'll dance a seguiriya for me. She kinda pushed the teacher that why not? She wants to try it with the batas. I didn't mind, as long as I'll try this palo. After all - this is one of the most basic palos to know and make if you wanna do flamenco, and I haven't done it yet.

Last evening we had the first class of the bata for this year. We practiced moves of the bata de colas on the beat of seguiriyas. I was very pleased that I finally learn it. Few minutes before the end of class - Neta gave us to listen to a song she thought will be great. It's a seguiriya which starts as a martinete. It sounded so beautiful. But than that one who said first seguiriya looked very not pleased. She said it sound too jondo (sad). Neta that this is the way is meant to be. So she let us hear another song in a palo she offered for anothe class - the one we started to work on farruca. It called caña. Neta said it's very rare beat (ofcourse! first time I heard about it was this week - and I learn for few years...) and it's even more rare to find caña para bailar (music which fit for dancing). It's sounds also nice, but it was a bit hard for me to leave the idea of the seguiriya. Still - I was the only one who didn't change her mind about the palo. So we'll do the caña with the bata de cola skirts.

And about the class of very advanced - each need to choose a palo to dance alone. In the start it looked to me almost impossible because there are many beautiful palos in flamenco and with all my years in flamenco - I still didn't choose only one to turn on. It's true that from those I danced till now - búleria feels the most natural to me, but I can't do only búlerias if I wanna go on and get better. Now I starts to think that maybe it will be for the best if I'll try to make a seguiriya for I could say that I made. The only problem is that it will make all much harder....

No comments:

Post a Comment