Thursday, March 26, 2015

Second day as a dresser

OK, finally I write about it (after  not enough spare time, not enough sleeping but with lots of guilty feelings). As I wrote before - the festival Días de Flamenco just happened. This time the main show was Flamenco Toolbox of Concha Jareño. She isn't the only one on stage, but it her show. And she gave the workshop. That festival always at Suzanne Dellal, Tel Aviv. Normally happens at mid March, always Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Last year they made it on April for once, probably because they made a try to make it special for the 20 year it happened.  I got my ticket to see her show at Friday night for the main show as I do for years. I made my choice to take again the workshop of the festival. I had a feeling it will be a good idea to try to learn a bit from Concha. I can't say that I'm sorry for that. I'm not always take the workshops, but the first ever that I took was through this festival (when the main artist was Farruquito). I gave a little time and still somehow it's fourth year in a row that I take it. Probably I got addicted a bit too much to flamenco (if it's possible to have "too much flamenco), maybe the idea that I start to feel that I must show myself and see others from the Israeli community of Israel, maybe for having one more story to tell here. Maybe all. Again - nothing to be sorry for. She's amazing and I did my part for having all. I was sure it ends by that. Mistake. I was her dresser for the show at Thursday and Saturday night. Till last moment it wasn't sure who will replace me at Friday night as the dresser. By the way I had so many things since - with or without connection to flamenco. There for it took me so long to finish writing all. Now about the festival of this year and about Concha it's the last story. Hopefully nothing will go wrong for I will have some more stories of next years of this festival, and hopfeully I will have some more stories about Concha. 

So, the thing itself:

Saturday night. It includes a gala. I never went to it before. I know, a shame for a blogger who's crazy for flamenco till she writes about it. Anyway, I don't get my tickets for free and the gala costs more. I can't afford myself to take it every year - mostly with all the other shows that I take and all the workshop. And it took me few years between getting into flamenco as I do now and between the moment I understood what does it mean. And no, I still take more than I can. The gala means having the main show. But before it starts there is the final part of the contest that Adi Foundation makes as a part of the festival. Sometimes one more thing. And all at the same crazy price. I guess I can;t blame them, they need the money as I do. This year accept the contest - Adva Yermiyahu was dancing before the main show. Two parts of a project she made which is a mix of flamenco and performance (she finished a school of theatre that goes a bit different). I was meeting her at Friday morning at the workshop. After the workshop she asked who will come I told her that I do, but I will come for dressing Concha. That little thing and what happened between us at the backstage look a bit weird to my eyes. 

Saturday night. I came before time for my happiness. Already a mess.  a fast hello to Idit who came. I knew that Ilan suppose to be there. I was looking for him first (I had time for that). I noticed the woman who I know through Neta's studio and used see as my friend. I ignored her. I started to wonder that it probably drives her crazy that I got myself the entrance to the backstage in case she already heard about it. It drove me crazy that now she will try to control Ilan. She looked at me as I was walking next to her. I ignored one more that thinks herself too much. I noticed Ilan after a while. He was talking with someone I don't know. With them was the one who used to be my friend, I tapped Ilan's hand. He looked at me and responded like he's surprised to see me. I made a try to laugh about it. Oh really, didn't you know you'll see me here? Ilan asked me how does that I'm not in yet. I'm about to get in. My ex friend looked at us. Although we didn't talk between us she was smiling and almost looked like she enjoy the situation. They got into the hall, I was looking for David for he will let me enter the backstage. He was close to the door of backstage, so it wasn't a problem. He was sure that I know the code. He said something about it. Well, I really don't. He told me the code and let me enter alone this time. 

The first part of the evening has started not much after I got in. Concha was at her room and the door was closed. This time I knew that my help starts a moment before she get up to perform. I didn't want to disturb her with no reason, better let her say when she start to need my help. By the way I had the chance to talk a bit with David el Galli who's one of the singers of this show. I told him that at the night before I saw the show and loved it. It's a unique one. He smiled and thanked me. The first part for the audience has started. Concha called Silvia (the manger of the show) for help. I heard her ask Silvia if I already came. Silvia answered that I did. I didn't hear what was the exact respond of Concha, but it sounded like a relief. Although Eva told me that I could see the contest - at this moment I knew that I did the right thing that I was choosing to miss it for being there for Concha before time. By the way Adva came to backstage to change after one part of hers. I asked her how did it go on. She said "fine, why didn't you come to see?". She made a try to sound like she's unsulted by me. Oh dear, I already saw many shows of her before, she knows that this time I came to work. What does she have to get insult? Later on Concha got out from her room for a moment, still wearing T-shirt and jeans. I came to say hello and tell her as well. She knew that I wasn't there at the night before for I could see the show, so I could just say that I loved this unique show. She smiled and thanked me me too, but looked a bit surprised. She got in to get ready. 

Yarden Amir was winning at the contest. She got in the back stage with the flowers. I started with to help Concha. I was ready to do my best. I already asked her about the next dress. This time instead of asking her which - I was pointing a dress and asked if it's the next one. She had a face of trying to think if being surprised or pleased that I remembered well. Silvia started to rush the artists from Spain to be ready. I heard her say too many times about the number of minutes to start. I wasn't sure for real when do they are about to start. Adrián was standing there next to the door that leads to stage. Some of his clothes were hanged there. He was dressed up. I was sure that in a moment he will get into stage. So, if I'm there anyway and I saw how amazing he dance - includes live at the night before - I wanted to make a positive connection. I said "muhca mierda". He looked at me. He looked a bit surprised that I talk to him. He did get through the doorm but got back. After all went to perform. I missed my chance to say all "mucha mierda". this time only surprised Adrián got it. 

 The show has started. I prepared next dress for it will take faster to Concha wearing it. I heard the music. I finally understood how much do I love this job. Now I knew how to help, I spent some time backstage with some talented flamenco artists (and I mean it - all of the artists of this show have a great talent for their part of flamenco), and hell - now I knew how does the show looks like! I could see at my head what happens those moments on stage. No, it wasn't a vision or anything close to it. I didn't remember all steps of all dances (of course) and my thoughts weren't clear enough to listen THAT hard. I mean that it was enough for me that moment to know how did Concha and Adrián were dressed up, to hear the music that comes from the stage and to know the main idea. I couldn't ask for more. 

Concha got back to change. Adrián made his first solo at this show. This time it seemed like all goes well. Concha looked more relaxed than the first night I dressed her. I was ready with help. This time I was more relaxed as well and it took me faster to help her change. Once again I was pointing a dress and asked her if it's the next one. Once again she had this face of she doesn't know if she should be surprised or pleased. Once again I remember well the order of dresses. OK, I will let go about it. That time I remembered the correct order of all dresses. If to tell the truth - I was surprised no less than Concha, but I was very proud of myself at the same time. . And from moment to moment I was more convinced that I enjoy doing it. The moments from the show still ran at my head through watching the clothes and hear the music. Sweet memories of the night before, some new sweet memories are happening now. 

And it didn't over by that. Although it took me some time to communicate with Adrián - now I'm sure that it isn't because he's a bad person, snobbish or whatever. He needs a little time. After the show has started it was clear that he received all the time he needed with me. First time he got back to change that evening... He knew I'm there, he knew that I could see. He didn't go to his room as a start. He just took off the performing clothes next to the door for the stage. He stayed this way at his underwear and just stood there. He leaned on the hokder of clothes, his side. No, I didn't take a photo. I didn't have bravery for it. Even if I took - no way that I would upload this photo to prove you anything. I was trying to think that I should stop staring at his ass, it isn't professional of me to do so. I guess that I asked myself to do something which is too big for me. Adva made a try to make me guilty feelings for not coming to see her instead of my job. My guilty feeling has started when I could stop staring at the private pip show that I received. After that I got guilty feelings that I didn't dare to take a photo, just for I could know for sure I wasn't dreaming. And because he has nothing to be shame about his body. Anyway, he had a luck that he got in his room to dress up for his next part. Not because of my dirty mind. A moment later a strange man found his way in to back stage with his daughter. I was wondering how did they get in. No one that I know and I didn't let them in. That man asked if I speak English. I do. He asked me how long would it take till the show will go on. It still at the middle....Next time that Concha came to change - he took off his camera and really wanted to take a photo of his daughter with Concha. NOW! Concha signed him "no" with the head. I was wondering how did crazy got in. I went after Concha to her room. I helped her to wear her bata de cola. She ran back to stage. One of stage workers (or something like this) came in. Oh, the crazy man knows him! And he speaks Hebrew! I didn't say a word. I found it less disturbing that he doesn't know that I understand and speak Hebrew as well than the fact he's there. And can't wait for the end of show for asking about a photo. After a while he gave up. He and his daughter went away. I was sorry for the kid, but I felt relief that they are gone. 

Later on Adrián was talking with me. He checked out that one of his shirts from the show started to dry from the sweat. Now, it's OK and he wanted me to know. That evening he asked more of my help than the first evening. He wanted me to hang more on the first costume he was wearing and with it he stripped me, later on he asked me to hang on some other costumes parts he was wearing. 

Last part of the show. One more man that I don't know. He started talking with me. He's the person that has been called every year to build and take off the stage at the festival. He asked me about when would the show finish for he could know when do he finish his work. By the way we were talking like we're friends or at least about to be. 

Before Concha took off her last dress of this show - I asked to have a photo with her. She accepted. I gave Silvia my phone (these days some people less afraid to use smartphones than cameras, and with no connection - in case Concha accept that I will publish the photo - I wanted a fast way to send it to Facebook). Silvia took three photos. I think that the last one is the best. I asked Concha. She doesn;t mind if I will upload the photo to Facebook (has been sent to Facebook before I got back home). I hoped to get a photo also with Adrián, mostly now when we're some kind of friends. I don't know if I wasn't calling loud enough or that he was too tired to give attention. He went with Ana Salazar to their rooms to change. I asked Concha and Silvia if there is anything else that I can help. Silvia gave me some more costumes from the show. Silvia told how does some of it meant to be hanged. 

OK, looked like I finished. I got out. I was sure I'll meet Ilan outside again. I wanted to tell him here and now about some of the things that just happened, by the way to ask him if he enjoyed the show. I didn't see him. I didn't see many people at all outside. Only few of the community. Adva was busy with others. After the scene at the start - maybe I should give her some space for a while. I saw Adar and wanted to throw up. Not many accept them. Ilan wasn't there (never mind that at the day after he told me he stayed there for drinking some wine). Eva and David weren't there. I would accept doing this job for free, but Eva told me that she will pay me for it, because of it I didn't like the fact that I don't see her. Fine, if she won;t make a contact with me - I will remind her that she made a promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment